Saturday, April 22, 2017

Grain Free Bread - LCHF

GRAIN FREE BREAD

This is a grain, gluten, and starch free bread. It is crusty on the outside and soft on the inside. It resembles a loaf cake – but is very much a bread in taste. Also, it toasts up very nicely.

If you want a Nut Bread then add ½ cup (or more) of your favourite nuts, preferably ground to the following recipe – I’ve indicated where in the recipe to add them.


INGREDIENTS

6 eggs (med or large)
½ cup whole fat plain yogurt
4 Tbsp butter, melted

½ cup coconut flour (does not need to be sifted)
¼ cup psyllium husk + 1 Tbsp (easily found in most health food stores)
1 ½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt

Nuts – ½ cup or more – if desired

1 tsp white vinegar (fresh lemon juice may be used instead)

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350. Line the length of a loaf pan with parchment paper – butter the sides.

In a glass bowl beat the first 3 ingredients (eggs, yogurt, melted butter) until well blended, set aside.

In another bowl mix the dry ingredients (coconut flour, psyllium husk, baking soda, salt), set aside.

If adding NUTS have them ready.

Have the vinegar ready in a small dish.

MAKE SURE THE LOAF PAN IS PREPARED AND YOUR OVEN IS READY AT 350.

Now you can blend everything together. Beat the liquids again, then add the dry ingredients, beat again till blended, add the nuts if desired. THEN add the vinegar last.

Quickly transfer to the loaf pan and put in the oven.  Bake for 45-48 minutes.

When done, cool for a few minutes before removing bread from loaf pan. Let it cool on a rack. Can be frozen. Slice to desired size. (I like it on the thinner side, so I get 22 slices)




A couple of things worth noting...

You DO NOT have to be overly exact with the measurements. Do not sift the coconut flour. Trust me, I've done the homework, and it's not necessary.

You do not need to over beat the liquids. Eggs size doesn't really matter, but if you only have small eggs then add 2 more.

Full fat yogurt works best. As fat is essential for this bread to taste so amazing don't use low, or fat free yogurt.

Regarding nuts - I've used 1/3 each of walnut meal, ground flax, and whole pumpkin seeds in one loaf and the outcome was amazing. So... play around with nuts. Don't be afraid to make this your own bread by choosing nuts you really like.

Vinegar vs Lemon - both work. I just happen to always have the vinegar available so I use it. Again, try the lemon and see what you think.

Psyllium husk vs psyllium husk powder. Husk is coarser, powder is finer. 1 Tbsp psyllium husk equals about 3/4 Tbsp psyllium husk powder. I've used both and don't really notice a great difference. The powder can be harder to come by so I use husk. Again, experiment.

I've played around with the ratio of baking soda to vinegar, the amount that is set for this recipe seems to do the job. Just remember to ADD THE VINEGAR AT THE VERY END. It will then activate the baking soda to create bubbles for a rising effect - be quick about getting it into the loaf pan and into the oven. Avoid a lot of excess banging of oven doors and even of the loaf pan on the counter as that pops the bubbles.

Okay, now about the parchment paper - you only need a strip the length of the loaf pan from the top of one end to the top of the other end. This helps lift the bread out of the loaf pan. You only need to butter the sides. Well, I actually butter the whole loaf pan then my parchment paper stays in place when I pour in the dough.

I regularly bake this bread in my toaster oven. It takes 45-48 minutes. It always turns out yummy.


If you have any questions leave them below and I'll do my best to answer them.



To your health,
     Jenny

7 comments:

  1. I really need to get some coconut flour. I ran out and haven't gotten more yet. Full fat yogurt is hard for me to find. It's all low fat. Next time I head to the big, big city I will have to check.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruth, full fat anything is hard to find in the States, but you may have luck at health food groceries. Even up here in Canada finding full fat items can be like looking for a needle in a haystack. But... persevere, I know you'll be happy with this bread. It toasts nicely and makes awesome garlic bread. Cheers!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for posting the recipe! If one wanted to avoid starch /grains but didn't mind gluten, do you think vital wheat gluten could be incorporated to create more spring/structure? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aaron - thank you for your comment.

      Your question is an excellent one - and I hope you don't mind if I do a little sleuthing as it has not been something I've come up against in my year and a half journey down the LCHF path.

      But, it intrigues me and I will find an answer... if you can be a little patient.

      My initial Gut Instinct is to say don't use it, but I need to do better than that because I don't have an answer to the subsequent "Why?" that might follow. :)

      I'll be back... going down the rabbit hole in search of an answer.

      Delete
    2. Hi Aaron - I've had my nose to the grindstone and discovered a website that gave the best explanation, and reason for not using VITAL WHEAT GLUTEN, ALSO KNOWN AS SEITAN. (This link will take you to the article - let me know if you find it helpful.)

      In my opinion using Vital Wheat Gluten is not necessary in my bread recipe as I use psyllium husk as the binder (gluten like properties) which gives some "spring/structure" to it.

      Further, for everyone with GI problems it would be a definite NO.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the research. Sorry for the confusion, but I didn't intend to ask if you thought gluten was a healthful choice. I was curious about it as it pertained to structure in baking. Also Vital Wheat Gluten (sold as a powder) is not the same thing as Seitan, which is cooked.

      Delete
    4. Hi Aaron - You're right - I didn't address your actual question. If you have no issue with gluten why would you be interested in a basically wheat-free (therefore gluten free) recipe should have been my reply.
      As I make this recipe for a person who is diabetic and following a LCHF no grain (of any kind) diet I gave an answer more toward that leaning.

      Anyway, since gluten is part of the grain issue your question was puzzling. Why not just avoid ALL of the starch/grain/gluten foods if wanting better health?

      VWG also adds to the carb count - and no matter how you slice it if a person is gluten sensitive it's not an option.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you - please feel free to leave a comment and share your LCHF thoughts.

Comment Moderation is on for comments posted after 14 days. Thank-you, Jenny.